5.30.2007




THE SHAME OF IT: I travel quite a bit, and often when I'm on the road I have time in the hotel room in the morning before I set out to do whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing...

...and so I do what probably no other straight male does: I turn on THE VIEW as my background companion. I find it totally compelling. Issues. Banter. Real passionate arguments. Human interest. Etcetera. (I don't know why there's not a guy version of THE VIEW, altho' I suppose that's more or less THE BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW.)

As I've seen the show here and there, I keep arriving at the same thought: I like this Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Granted, she's not as clever as Joy Behar, not as funny as Rosie (was), or as studied as Babs Walters. But I do find her principled, strong, and sane, attributes that aren't shared by any of the other chicks on the show. (Today's guest VIEWer is that money chick, Suze Orman, who is almost as annoying as Rosie.)

Elizabeth generates all kinds ire in the blogosphere, where she gets labeled as Elizabitch and is constantly getting slammed for her supposedly "right wing" views. Bottom line: She's a traditional gal with somewhat conservative values, and she refuses to toe the Hollywood line. Plus she's hot.

Oh, sweet Jesus, now they're talking to the creator of Spanx undergarments for women. Time to find SportsCenter.

6 comments:

P said...

political affiliation aside, i find her shrill and too confrontational. pushy. maybe it's that long island in her. on the view, each panelist is there to represent a certain age group and i find it very hard to relate to elizabeth. she's younger than me but she already seems far more embittered by life.

Scott Hess said...

I guess I disagree almost across the board, altho' shrill and confrontational are mostly about POV, in my opinion...

But...

Embittered? I haven't really seen that at all. She seems sort of positive to me. Seems to like her life. Altho' she does seem frustrated to be surrounded by nutjobs...

Anonymous said...

i don't remember her having such big boobs. is that an old picture of her when she was pregnant, is she pregnant again, or maybe just nursing? the only way to be heard on that show is to speak up, and she does that, but i have not found her to be shrill, just agitated when she is trying to get her point across, particularly amongst the other more liberal members of the group.

Scott Hess said...

I don't know the backstory on her chest. I just thought that was a nice picture.

P said...

yep, she's prego with number two. she's got quite a nice rack.

L. said...

Never seen the view and don't know who the chick is in the pic. But I can comment on her chest. It's riduculous. Put some clothes on already!
L.