3.31.2003

GARAFA-NO: I was up late last night and happened across a repeat airing of the Bill Maher show on HBO. His panel included comedian/actors Larry Miller and Janeane Garofalo and conservative squawker Michael Graham (who somehow does a nice job, despite being perceived as raw meat by Maher's incivil, super-liberal audience). Anyhow, I guess I was shocked to notice how much my feelings have changed toward Janeane. I used to think of her as a cute alterna-chick with a razor wit. Now she just seems angry and ill-informed. Oh, and humorless. I mean, Larry Miller composes a clever little joke about how ironic it is that Iraqi cab drivers are angry that war protesters are denying them their livelihood in New York, and Garofalo misses it entirely, barking, "You don't know the cab drivers are Iraqi!" The rest of the panel looks stunned, if not embarrased for her. Meanwhile, she slinks down in her chair, trendy pink FREE SPEECH t-shirt slightly obscured by the slumping of her shoulders. She's still cute, but who can laugh at this woman anymore? Perhaps she'll need to begin seeking dramatic roles.

No comments: