9.07.2004

DADDYING: My 2-year-old son C.J. is really into baseball. Any time he sees a sporting event on TV he gleefully shouts, "Chicago Cubs!"

A few nights ago he was pitching to me in our living room, and I smacked his off-speed junk directly into a hanging light fixture, breaking the halogen lightbulb in a dramatic shower of sparks. Since then he's begging for me to reprise the performance, as if I can somehow knock a light out with every swing of the bat. "Daddy, break a light! Break a light!"

He was so proud of me, I almost couldn't stand it. That I could be as reckless as him, as blatantly out of control, made his day. "Daddy in trouble," was another thing he said several times.

We spent the holiday weekend up in Michigan with my parents. Although the weekend was littered with highlights, one was memorably captured in pixels. Below is a shot of an overjoyed C.J., moments after his Grandpa Tom presented him with his "special drink," a fruit smoothie the two collaborated on.



No comments: