6.05.2006

WHAT PASSES FOR AN EPIPHANY IN THIS SMALL ADDLED BRAIN: Here's a link to that HAPPINESS book I mentioned in my previous post. A very simple book, but full of little prizes. One thing that leaped out at me today: The past is gone, the future is not here yet (I'm wildly paraphrasing), and you've never yet met a present you can't deal with. Fearlessness is simply accepting the present, whatever it is.

Or something like that.

Reminds me so much of when I was running long distances. I could never conceive of running a dozen miles. But as long as I just tried to run this step, then that step, the miles just came to me. Sometimes I would feel terrible at the beginning of a run, and I'd think: I'll never make it 10 more miles. But once I gave up on that idea -- 10more miles -- and just tried to run 10 more steps, ten more seconds, ten more feet, etc. -- I always seemed to escape my mental rut. To run 12 miles, you have to have some faith. To live, same thing.

No comments: