12.21.2006




IF I WAS MAKING A MIX TAPE, VOL. 1: Here are some songs I'm into of late...

"These Days," Gregg Allman
You don't have to be a hippie or a Southern Fried Rocker to appreciate this ironic, wistful ode to getting older, slowing down, and keeping on.

"9 to 5," Lady Sovereign
Brit hip-hop chick with an attitude, sort of like if a 15-year-old Anabela Lwin found rap instead of Malcolm McLaren way back when.

"Pin Your Wings," Copeland
There's very little that passes for rich, intellectual rock these days. It's either minimalist indie-stuff, or teenie-bombast, or...I can't find it. Love Copeland, and love this song which, for me, channels the old supergroup Asia.

"That's That Shit," Snoop Dogg
Total comic-hop, hands wavin', nah-mean? I know I shouldn't like the Snizzle Dizzle, but I can't help it. Holla at a player!

"Honey & The Moon," Joseph Arthur
Hopeful heartache, beautiful tragedy, pressing on a bruise, just like I always like.

"In the Sun," Michael Stipe (feat. Chris Martin)
Here's Stipe at his finest, covering Joseph Arthur with the help of Mr. Paltrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While admitting that it could possibly be considered indie-minimalist, I think that you'r really enjoy the new The Hold Steady album. "Chips Ahoy" is one of those songs that makes me remember why I love music.

Anonymous said...

damnit, "you'd".

P said...

lady sov was stuck in my head all night... a medley of "love me or hate me" and "random".

Paul said...

Keeping in the 80s band vein..Midlake seems to be channeling something crossing Alan Parsons Project and Fleetwood Mac with their (really great) single "Roscoe" I wish I could say I discovered it this year, but it was on a friend's best of 2006 CD.

http://worlds-fair.net/media/midlake/Roscoe.mp3

For comic/Hop I have to vote for the new Chicago kid Lupe Fiasco's hit "Kick,Push" a hip/hop song about skateboarding...who da thunk it.