12.27.2007



MCCAIN RISING: Four or five months ago I sat at dinner with a table full of people who were, for the most part, more successful than me. They were big deals at brands, ad agencies, and so forth, and they all had titles like President or CEO. As part of dinner conversation, we all ventured guesses as to who the Dem and Republican presidential candidates would be. For the most part, we all agreed Hillary was likely to earn the Dem nod. On the Republican side of the fence, the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Romney was the frontrunner, with a few dissenting voices suggesting it was Giuliani's time.

"McCain," I said, when it was my turn. "Johh McCain not only will be the Republican nomineee, he'll also be our next president."

Few at the table made any effort to contain their derision. I distinctly recall one guy saying, "You're an idiot," or something similar. "He's done."

"All it will take is one big something," I said. "One big something that suggests that the war is going exceptionally well...or exceptionally badly."

After today's events, I almost feel like gloating...if that thought weren't so indecorous. After today's events, there seems to be only one candidate on either side of the aisle, so to speak, who has the gravity and experience to lead us through the difficult period ahead. Same guy I said that night at dinner.

Not so much an idiot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, I agree, in fact I just voted for him in the Michigan primary a few days ago...absentee, that is. He is the only one with any foreign relations experience.

Anonymous said...

The only thing against McCain is his age, but I will definitely vote for him if he's the Republican candidate.

L. said...

I will vote for him too. But, unfortunately, he doesn't have a chance of winning.
L.

Scott Hess said...

Laurel, your comment raises many questions. I'll try and list a few:

a) He has not chance of winning what? The Republican nomination? The presidency?

b) You will vote for him in the primary? The general election, if he is the candidate?

c) Your verdict -- that "he doesn't have a chance of winning" -- is based on what analysis? That he won't be the nominee, because hasn't sufficiently cowtowed to the base? That he won't be elected president because he's 1) too old 2) Republican, and this is a Dem year, 3) too attached to Bush/the War, 4) something else entirely?

Mom, I agree, old people are too out of touch and cold-hearted to be trusted, in general, but I'm willing to forgive that in him and other people...

:-)

Anonymous said...

WHICH other people....

Anonymous said...

Still kinda early to calling any of these races. I beleive Howard Dean was ahead at this point during the last general election.

Scott Hess said...

Let me be clear: I don't think McCain is a foregone conclusion (as nominee or president) by a long shot. But I'm no dummy for thinking he's a legit contender, especially in the face of disruptive external events overseas.

L. said...

He is not a legit contender. I wish he were. Again, I repeat...unfortunately, he has no chance of winning.
L.