10.12.2007



DADDY'S LUCKY: "What did you do at school today?"

This is my typical query for kindergartener C.J. when I arrive at home each night. Mostly I get murky little answers, aimed at putting me off the scent: "Nothing." "We just played." "I can't remember."

The other night he turned the tables on me.

"Daddy, what did you do at work today?"

"Uh..."

"Daddy, tell me what you did."

"Okay...I did a lot of work."

"Daddy!"

"Uh...well...I talked to ESPN for a while, the sports TV station. Then I talked to Nintendo for a while, the folks that make your Wii. Then I got a call from NBC, the TV station that me and Mommy like to watch sometimes. And then when I was getting ready to leave I talked to a college guy who wants me to come there and give a talk to some people."

"Did you have fun, Daddy?"

A great question. And as I sat there and contemplated the contents of my day, I was pretty proud of the answer I was able to give him.

"I really did," I said. "Daddy's lucky."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you are lucky, and I am so happy for you. It makes getting out of bed everyday a lot easier!

Anonymous said...

you to like to blah blah blah

Scott Hess said...

Indeed.

diane303 said...

Hey! Life is good!