6.07.2004

LAUGHING AT OUR DIFFERENCES: One of the reasons I like Howard Stern is that he shows how it's possible for different races and sexual orientations to get along with each other while still enjoying the richness of our differences. You could say he demonstrates his respect for black people or gay people by refusing to tiptoe around stereotypes and refusing to camouflage his own biases and prejudices. He acknowledges that the topics of race and sexual orientation can make us uncomfortable, and yet he's courageous enough to dance through these dual minefields rather than tiptoe. And, if you listen to the show, most of his minority listeners and guests seem to love him for it.

(On the other hand, for what it's worth, I think much of his ridicule of handicapped folks -- whether they're mentally or physically challenged -- can veer off course and become plain old cruelty.)

I just ran across a fun exchange in my personal life that reminded me of the best of the Stern approach.

One of my best friends is engaged to a black woman. (He's a white guy.)

We were organizing a Belmont pool, betting on the race, and his girlfriend wanted in it. We had three horses apiece for three guys, so the math didn't work out. She was all bent out of shape.

"Why can't I be in?" I heard her begging in the background of the phone call. "Is it because I'm a woman?"

"No," he replied. "It's because you're black. This pool is whites only."

If we could all make these kinds of jokes with one another, the world would be a better place.

No comments: