10.17.2003

GO FISH: It's the Yankees and the Marlins, eh? So who will I root for, the perennial champs or those pesky fish that dashed my dreams?

Fish all the way, baby.

Unlike the Atlanta series, where my dislike for the Braves grew with each smirky at-bat, the Marlins series actually had the opposite effect. By the time Pudge Rodriguez knocked in his 73rd RBI I had actually grown to like him. C'mon, who doesn't love a stocky, bossy catcher who legs out every hit and comes through in the clutch? I'd take him on the Cubs in a minute. Granted, Miller and Bako seem like nice, sturdy guys, and they sure did a nice job of gunning down scampering opponents this season. But let's face it, they barely hit a lick between 'em, and there were times I was actually hoping they'd walk so some of our hot-hitting pitchers could have a whack or two.

The rest of the Marlins? Josh Beckett is a humble talent with a bad beard, not unlike a certain Cub who I've grown fond of. Conine seems like a solid, happy dude, the perfect guy to take a fishing trip with. Lowell is dark and scary, like a guy haunted by a bad accident, but he's also a fearsome competitor and a soft-spoken dude. Very likeable. McKeon? Who doesn't love the too-old manager, doddering his way into history? And those pesky fast guys, Castillo and the French-Hispanic black guy Juan Pierre? Love 'em. Speed thrills, baby. Now if they can just teach Pierre to get an actual jump. He's the fastest unsuccessful base-stealer I've ever seen.

Why not root for the Yankees?

I have no affection for New York or New Yorkers, truth be told. Sure, I have friends there. But I pretend they live elsewhere, that they're only visiting the Big Crapper. Plus it's no fun to root for the favorite. I'm almost glad my Red Wings were swept out last year. There's nothing like a team with a chip on its shoulder. That's why I'm rooting for the Marlins to win their second Series...

...and why I'll be cheering harder for the Cubs next year than ever before.

No comments: