10.28.2003

TWIN ALBATROSSES: There's an "e-mail forward" making the rounds outlining all of Bush's shortcomings as a man and as a president. As I sit here vacillating over how I'll vote in the next election, I enjoy playing devil's advocate for both parties, and so I admit I read this latest anti-Bush screed with the same basic interest that I've given to Andrew Sullivan's ongoing analysis of the Dems. Along with the usual criticisms -- you know, Shrubya is a free-spending, war-mongering mental midget -- there's also an additional bullet point that jumped off the page at me: Despite his vows to bring Osama and Saddam to justice, both are still wandering the earth lookin' for trouble. (I'm paraphrasing.) Not a revelation, right? So why did that factoid spark my interest? Because it's going to have amazing visual heft as the election nears. Imagine an ad where Bush says he's gonna get those guys, that it's only a matter of time. And then imagine cutting to video of the two men laughing, enjoying themselves, making threats against Americans. Their ongoing lives and liberties may be 43's greatest negative as we near this next election.

No comments: