3.08.2004

STERN TO SATELLITE? My brother Eric and I have been swatting e-mails back and forth about Howard Stern's impending demise. I like Eric's thinking in his last e-mail (one thing about Eric, he always sounds like he knows what he's talking about), and so I share it here with you (with his permission). Here's Eric:


I listened to Stern this morning too.. the show content is now lost in his whining (must admit though that I laughed when he realized Tom was in the studio and said (with no anger), “What are you doing in here? Go have your discussion with one of the interns. You come when I call for you.” -- Tom obeyed).

Howard was going off on the Parent Council something-or-other lady on MSNBC. But then went on a rant about stem cells, the Patriot Act, Iraq.. etc. Many things he supported Bush on and now he’s flailing away. [ed. note: Eric and I have been discussing what a wussy Stern is...as soon as his livelihood is threatened he drops Bush and starts finding all manner of things wrong with him, stuff he was willing to forgive only a month or so ago when he was a big Bush fan.)

He should take his show to XM.. they’ll pay handsomely. It’s the radio equivalent of cable right now. No regulation. People pay for it. He can do what he wants. And he will single-handedly bring about a quantum shift in over the air radio. “Free” radio needs guys like Stern. If all of ‘em went to satellite, the audience would completely splinter (just like it did with cable TV).

This is Howard’s destiny, but he’s too scared to take the step. He still thinks this is just good radio fodder (the FCC hates me.. I’m through) If you listened before his last contract renewal, he played the same cards. I don’t think this will blow over anymore.

No comments: