8.25.2005

A WINNING TICKET: As many of you have seen, I've been assailed of late by one "JD" in my Comments. He's even challenging my mom. The nerve!

Nonetheless, JD's comments link to a blog that's called Grok Your World. I'm not sure if he publishes it or not, but I do sometimes read it. Although I find much of it murky and wrongheaded, a recent post there is pretty smart. Basically, the argument is that what the Dems lack more than a good candidate are two big things: principles and balls. The poster even concedes this is what the Republicans have offered in spades.

Anyway, I read the post, thought about it, and wrote a comment on the blog. I wanted to share it here:


As someone whose politics have moved rightward in recent years, I have to say: I completely agree with you. I'm not sure I fully understood why I've moved away from the Dems in recent years, because quite often I find myself not happy sidling up to the Republicans. The answer is: I moved away from the Dems because there's no there there, to steal a phrase. I admire Newsom's strong stand on gay marriage, and I admire Hackett's service and his principled stand. Although I'm still feeling like a McCain guy in '08, I'd be far more interested in Newsom/Hackett than I would in Hillary Clinton or John Kerry. It's odd, given that I've become more conservative, and yet I'm preferring what might be more liberal options. Perhaps what I crave is what you cite: principles and balls. Now there's a ticket I'd vote for: Principles/Balls in '08!

No comments: