12.08.2005

WHO LOVES KANYE? KANYE! It's offical: Kanye West is an arrogant twit. As evidence I give you Kanye's comments about the upcoming Grammy awards, plucked from a recent MTV interview:


"If I don't win Album of the Year, I'm gonna really have a problem with that," said West. "I can never talk myself out of [winning], you know why? Because I put in the work. I don't care if I jumped up and down right now on the couch like Tom Cruise. I don't care what I do, I don't care how much I stunt — you can never take away from the amount of work I put into it. So I don't wanna hear all of that politically correct stuff. You put the camera in front of me, I'm gonna tell you like this. I worked hard to get here. I put my love, I put my heart, I put my money [into Late Registration]. I'm $600,000 in the hole right now on that album and you tell me about being politically incorrect?

He goes on to suggest that the song "Gold Digger" -- the one where Jayme Foxx yells "tell me, mama" using a retarded accent -- is the clear-cut song of the year.

What the fuck is he talking about?

First off, who cares who wins the Grammy, any Grammy? Since when has the Grammy ever been a true measure of merit? Next, can he really believe that his work -- the product and the effort that went into it -- so far exceeds everyone else's that awarding him Album of the Year should be a foregone conclusion?

Is it just me, or is this guy so far up his own shorts that he's hanging from his uvula?

Given all the hype, I've tried repeatedly to find even one Kanye song that appeals to me. No dice. Uck. Sucks. Sucks. He's a lame performer, a mediocre MC, and a boor. Rumor has it he's a good producer, but if that's the case I wish he'd just park his ignorant ass behind the board and shut the fuck up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help! That stupid "Daugher to Father" song comes up now every time we click on your blog. It was annoying the first time, now it is really aggravating. And, Kanye West is a stupid, idiot who doesn't have a clue what is going on in the world or what he is talking about. I wouldn't give him one second of my time, no matter where his talents might be, if he actually has any.

L. said...

Never heard of Kanye West or Lindsey Lohan. Thank God from the sounds of it. And, by the way, if I haven't heard of them, they can't be that good:)
L.

Scott Hess said...

It's impossible that you've "never heard of" Kanye West or Lindsay Lohan.

Scott Hess said...

I'll fix the Lindsay video so it only plays if you click play.

Anonymous said...

This may be a generational thing but I'm with Laurel. I never heard of Kanye West and if he said what was quoted here this is a guy that is trying to force a grammy and you are right "who cares". Its not like it has any relevance. It sure is not as news worthy as a golf tournament or a scrabble tournament. God, What is this world coming to !! Are there no values??? What exactly is important???
Zed
Zed

Anonymous said...

I've seen some interviews with Kanye West. I do agree he can be somewhat over the top at times, but he's not alone in how he approaches these awards. Alot of these artists, especially in hip-hop, see themselves like athletes. If you don't go out thinking you're the best and you're making the best songs, your audience is going to pick up on that. I've never approached art like that, but for better or worse, we've become a culture that has to have a winner. (See college football playoffs arguements every year)

That Kanye song is okay. For hip-hop, I like the Game's "Hate it or love it" better. My song (and album of the year) is Sufjan Steven's Illinois tribute/concept album.

Album "Come on feel the Illinoise"
Song "Jacksonville"

Anonymous said...

I'll venture from being anonymous :)

As far as not caring about the grammys, that's fine. Returning to the college football comparison, none of us probably care about the Meineke Bowl either, but there's plenty of NC State and USF fans that are gobbling up tickets and planning trips to Charlotte for an otherwise meaningless bowl game. I'm not going to fault anyone for caring about any awards or accolades, no matter how meanlingless they are to me. That just seems haughty to me.

L. said...

It's not only possible. It's true. Kayne who? Lindsey what? I have NEVER heard of either and until your cost, I couldn't tell you if they were singers, writers, or olympic swimmers. I simply don't follow the "Entertainment Tonight" news. Not interested. Don't care. Maybe I have heard their songs...maybe I have even liked their songs. But, I don't know.
L.

Anonymous said...

woohoo! someone agreed with me. that's the first time I've picked the same #1 as Pitchfork. Also kind of surprising that a bunch of chicago-post-rock-scenesters would pick Kanye #2.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/top/2005/index5.shtml