5.18.2004

FAREWELL FELIX: The deaths of TV icons from my youth always make me sad. Today it's Tony Randall. Some interesting notes from his CNN obit:

- His real name was Leonard Rosenberg! No way! Next thing you know we'll find out uberwasp Ralph Lauren is actually Jewish.
- No mention of his very young wife and child. What gives?
- They note his frequent appearances on THE TONIGHT SHOW, but make no mention of his frequent walk-ons to LATE NIGHT. Huh?
- Funny that he played the first openly gay TV lead, was constantly the subject of innuendo about his sexuality, but managed to bag a hot young wife. (Maybe Kevin Spacey will hook up with the post-Andy Mandy Moore and prove everyone wrong.)

UPDATE: Okay, apparently I saw a very early version of the obit this morning. They've now updated it to include wife/children info, the LATE NIGHT link, etc. And to those who've commented/e-mailed about Ralph Lauren...c'mon give me some credit. I was kidding!)

No comments: