5.13.2004

WHAT HAVE I DONE FOR ME LATELY? I got to thinking last night, mulling over the things in my life I'm most proud of. (Maybe I am having a midlife crisis!) My first thoughts were kind of obvious and nice and related (pun intended, and not in any order):

- My son, C.J.
- My marriage to Eileen (nearly 13 years!)
- My relationship with my extended family

Hmmm. Very nice, I thought, but what if I eliminate genetically relevant stuff and just get a little selfish? Stuff I've done, you know?

Here's what came to mind:

- Quitting smoking and dipping
- Completing two AIDS Rides
- Maintaining my friendships

At this point I drew a blank. Sure, there are other things, but many of 'em are so small and seemingly insignificant (coming in second place one year in breaststroke after having to re-swim the finals; finishing my three grad-school applications, even though I didn't get in to any of the programs; etc.) that I'm almost embarassed to list 'em.

Anyhow, this is what I'm thinking about today...achievements...what they are and why they matter.

No comments: