7.29.2004

CALL ME A SUCKER FOR CONVENTION RHETORIC: This time from a Dallas airport lounge...

Okay, so now I'm listing Kerryward. An e-mail to Andrew Sullivan summarizes my feelings nicely. An excerpt:

"I'm a social libertarian, fiscally conservative, hawk -- an eagle, in your lexicon. In the past, I've been willing to give Democrats a chance. I voted for Clinton in 1992, although I soon regretted it. Since 9/11, I've morphed into a one-issue voter -- the war on terrorism, at home and abroad. And until recently, my efforts to be open to John Kerry ran aground whenever I considered who the terrorists would rather see elected. And my anxiety only intensified after recent reports on pre-election terrorism attacks. Surely the terrorists' rationale for such attacks would be to help elect Kerry, a la Spain. I'm not sure American voters would react the way Spaniards did, but the terrorists may not appreciate the resolve of the American heartland.But if the terrorists were listening to Edwards last night, and Obama the night before, they may be second-guessing their plans. If the Kerry camp's war rhetoric is in earnest (and there are good reasons to doubt it), then the terrorists may not get the easier ride they were strategizing for."

Go read the whole thing. Well worth it. Bottom line is if I believed Kerry was every bit as hawkish on terror as Bush (just smarter), and if I believed Kerry favored personal responsibility and accountabilty over government subsidy/assistance, then he's my guy. He's obviously smarter, more courageous, and more qualified than our current president.

One thing that still pisses me off are the literal nobs who keep acting as if Bush is some sort of evil genius (even as they call him an idiot), some kind of grand-plan conspiracy master who's managed to create a profitable new chaos for himself and his best pals the Bin Ladens.

So even though I may -- MAY -- vote Kerry, I'll still think Michael Moore is just as big, fat and idiotic as Rush Limbaugh, and that the Hollyweird liberal set (for which Timothy Robbins and Sean Penn have become poster boys) are pompous poopheads.

Oh, and liked that spiked Ann Coulter column, even though I'm generally no fan of hers. Go figure.


No comments: