7.21.2004

RECALLING THE WHITE FLAG: Okay, so I don't give up on the Cubs. I take it back. But man-oh-man were they embarassing yesterday. I was so thrilled to see them put eight runs on Matt Morris early...and then I sat there in disbelief as they found various ways the rest of the game to play bad and look worse, resulting in a backbreaking loss.

Still, there was that little glimmer in the ninth where I sensed they just might come back. And so I started feeling bad about my post, my early white flag. Thing is this team is still dead-center in the wildcard race, still a formidable club that can beat anyone on any given day.

So now I'm looking for Hendry to make a deal. We need a shortstop and some bullpen help, for sure. We could probably use another super-sub, given that Hollandsworth may be out for a while and Aramis is a gimp. C'mon, Hendry. Nose back to grindstone. Phone to shoulder. I promise not to give up if you don't.

Meanwhile, it's time to see some character from this team. No more temper tantrums. No more excuses. Let's see how big a dent we can put into St. Looey's 10-game lead. Let's see how quickly we can lock up the wildcard. And let's see a chance for vengeance against those Cardinals in the playoffs. Heck, screw vengeance. Let's redeem ourselves, earn back some of the respect that was handed away in the past 48 hours.

No comments: