7.26.2005

MY MEDIA OF LATE: It's really fun getting so many comments of late. Thanks to all of you, even the dissenters and disagree-ers. I love it.

Man have I been loving ENTOURAGE this season. It's my favorite show since ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT and/or LARRY SANDERS. Jeremy Piven is a genius as Ari. And frankly, I didn't much care for Piven before this. I'd seen him out and about around Chicago, and he always seemed kind of like an ass. Perhaps this role was made for him. He's absolutely masterful, and a highlight of every episode. Boom!

Am reading Bill Sammons' MISUNDERESTIMATED, which is more or less a tribute to the presidentiary skills of Bush 43. I'm not sure if it's journalism -- there are many who think of Sammon as a house organ for the White House -- but it sure is a fun read. Also just finished SEE NO EVIL by former CIA operative Bob Baer. While it's not clear that Baer is a partisan of any kind, and he seems not a fan of any politicians, what I got from the book is that much of what happened behind the scenes in the Clinton Administration is we took our eyes off the ball in the Middle East. Baer doesn't do either Bush any favors, either. Bottom line is it's a great look into the clandestine service as it used to run in the Middle East, not to mention a remarkably breezy read. Next up for me, a touch lighter, is Buzz Bissinger's THREE NIGHTS IN AUGUST, a blow-by-blow account of a St. Louis Cards-Chicago Cubs series from a couple seasons ago, written in collaboration with Cards skipper Tony LaRussa (who I've never much been a fan of, given his general humorlessness).

What are you reading and liking? Watching?

No comments: