11.29.2006

THE ONE CAT I DO LIKE: I was Amazon-surfing last night -- and truth be told I find riding the recommendation engine around Amazon more entertaining than most TV shows and movies -- and I discovered that our pal Cat Stevens has a new record out, albeit under his Yusuf Islam moniker. Fine. Nice. (Hear Borat say it: "Nize!")

Oh yeah: I'm at the Four Seasons in Houston. Work. Not bad after a week with the family, riding in the car and sleeping in the same bed and pretty much wearing each other.

Anyway, the new Stevens/Islam stuff sounds pretty nice, and it inspired me to go iTunes-surfing through his back-catalog. Next thing you know I'm downloading TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN and TEASER AND THE FIRECAT and almost feeling like I've discovered a great new artist, it's been so long since I've heard this stuff. "But I Might Die Tonight." "On the Road to Find Out." "Miles from Nowhere." Just great stuff.

Wonder who I should rediscover next...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend Shuggie Otis "Strawberry Letter 23"

He wrote and recording the orginal version of the song, and IMO it has alot more soul than the hit.

Scott Hess said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Paul. I remember checking out Shuggie on a Virgin listening station a while back and liking him. Will do.