11.06.2006

WHEN LIFE GETS TOO HEAVY, WRITE LIGHT VERSE: Sitting at Starbucks, procrastinating. Supposedly "off" work today, but full up with emails and editing and logistical crap. Prolly about to get a parking ticket, too. Oh, and then there's the back rehab, then pick-up from school, then nanny issues, then broken stuff that needs to be fixed so it can break again, etcetera. Thank God I have no real problems. My invented and exaggerated ones are more than I can bear sometimes. Ugh, bear. Bears. Ugh.

Responsible thing to do? Toss off some verse, of course:


MORE WATER MORE THIRSTY
So much time spent
dreaming of more
time. And for what?
To have more
time to dream
of more time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your dad could have written that one.

Scott Hess said...

File under apple/tree.

Anonymous said...

O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities fill'd with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light--of the objects mean--of the struggle ever renew'd;
Of the poor results of all--of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest--with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring--What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here--that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.

Scott Hess said...

Whitman!

Although I'm not so sure I'm as buoyed by the notion of "identity" as he was...