11.14.2006

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO PLAY FOR HIM? Bob Knight has more apologists than any other major-league jerk I can think of. The question is not whether or not Knight was in the wrong when he smacked player Michael Prince in the jaw. Even Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale, while spinning as hard as they can in Knight's favor on ESPN, admit he probably shouldn't have put his hands on a player. In other words, he was wrong. The big story is whether or not Knight deserves discipline -- either from the NCAA, or from Texas Tech. My take: He deserves discipline from high school players, who should be smart enough not to go to school at Texas Tech and play for a guy who, although not criminal, is clearly a bully, an asshole, and a narcissist.

If you haven't seen the videotape of the incident, have a look. There's a key moment, and it's not what you think. It's not when Knight smacks Prince. It's not when Prince flexes his jaw, clearly feeling pain. Nope. It's when another nearby adult, likely a Texas Tech coach or trainer, sees the incident take place and clearly looks away in disgust. His look is nothing if not a "there he goes again" look. We all know who Bob Knight is by now, don't we?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhhh... No, Vitale and Bilas didn't say it was wrong or he shouldn't have done it. They acknowledge many would say so, but neither of them felt it was inappropriate or out-of-line.

Without the prior, legitimately excessive events, this is a non-event.

Scott Hess said...

Hey, Kev!

I did indeed see Bilas and Vitale, in separate TV interviews, defend Knight...as well as saying he should not have put his hands on the student. Both said they would not have done it and that Knight probably should not have done it, all the while saying that they thought it was not a big deal. They knew he shouldn't have done it, IMHO.

I just don't get how you remove context from this, personally.

Plus, I'm arguing he should be fired or suspended. I'm just arguing he's a jerk, and I don't get why anyone would choose to play for him.

Scott Hess said...

That should say I'm *not* arguing he should be fired or suspended. These are big kids who can take a little shot to the jaw, as inappropriate as it may be. With Knight, you know what to expect. Caveat emptor, etc.

But what a horse's ass this man is, IMHO>

Anonymous said...

Whether other people think he's an ass doesn't really matter does it? You think players wouldn't want to come play for Knight but they do...and they will continue to do so. Many of his *former* players also continue to sing his praises. The thing is, all this behaviour is covered by the media almost constantly, so any thing that can grab a headline gets everyone all in an uproar.

I'm certainly not defending him, but if a player has chosen to play for Knight, then that's his decision. I joined the Army and went through basic training where a bunch of true asses screamed and pushed me around, but I'm sure you already know that's what happens, right? I didn't agree that the method was effective, but they were the ones in charge and I signed up for it...so I 'lumped' it.

btw - OSU's fight song and marching band is *much* cooler than Michigan's. ;)

I love this week.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a transcript, but I viewed the Vitale and Bilas clips on ESPN online after reading it hear, and I really didn't hear them say he shouldn't have done it.

I seriously doubt there's a I-A coach in football or basketball, or any other major competitive sport, that avoids all contact and doesn't dress down players and coaches at times. Some may avoid profanity, but from Joe Pa to Bowden to Carroll to Coach K, I don't think there's a one of them that hasn't gotten in a player's face more than once.

I wasn't removing context, but noting it; without Knight's prior transgressions, which were more egregious and unacceptable, this particular incident would have been a non-event.

As Bilas noted, Holtz, now on ESPN, got kudos for his facemask tactic back in the day, and the current coach of the Fighting Irish is no Sunday School teacher according to the 60 Minutes profile , "..expletive-laced tirades seem to be putting the fight back into the Fighting Irish."

I just don't think you play at that level without being pushed; and that's what Knight was reportedly doing. That's coaching.

Tom said...

Bob Knight hit me in the face many times, and it was simply to get me to make eye contact with him. It wasn't a big deal, except I got blurred vision, and couldn't look him in the eye anyway.

But whatever, I'm really posting to see if I can get an update on you, and particularly, Gorrell. Email me at tstrodtbeck@nbia.org.

Tom