11.06.2006

TIME TO STOP THE G.O.P. I read that Clinton (figures) is the only (or first) Dem smart enough to make the most compelling (and true) argument available:

The Republicans can't handle a natural disaster (Katrina), a war (Iraq), or a scandal (Foley and the pages). They're the gang that can't shoot straight.

Also, for the record, to my friends on the Left: You were right, I was wrong.

I still believe in the idea that, in a post 9/11 world, there's a strong case to be made for pre-emptive military action in a place like Iraq. That's what I thought the war was all about. Turns out I was largely sold a bill of goods by a cabal of incompetents. Was I warned? Indeed I was. But...well...fool me twice, don't get fooled again. Enough's more than enough. I'm ashamed of my vote in the last presidential election. Ashamed in retrospect, of course. I meant well. Still, I'm going to have a tough time buying the same brand of government for a while.

My priorities for the next presidential election: Competent defense, a pro-science stem cell research policy, fiscal sanity, and a more comprehensive approach to health care.

My priority for tomorrow? Send a message.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand some of your thinking in the early paragrahs, even though I don't agree with them, but for the life of me I can't understand where you think you will get the items from the last paragraph - from the Democrats? Give me a break. However, glad you are voting, even though you will cancel out my vote. At least you prove you have earned the right to support or critique. Hugs, Mom

Anonymous said...

You bring up many valid points.

I disagree on the war, however. It is a just war, but the execution has been terrible. Why was it just?

Remember why we want to war to begin with: Iraq supposidly had WOMD, but was not letting the UN monitor the program. We went to war, and there is huge irony in this, to validate the UN and hopefully make the world safer.

The fact that there were no WMD is really not the issue (that the left has made you think it is..)

So going to war was for valid reasons. Now that we're there - let's get more troops and win it.

Scott Hess said...

I think the war is a just war, horribly executed. And I agree we should get more troops in there and win it. We have no real other choice at this point.

Mom, dunno who we'll get the stuff I want from. Luckily my votes today are nearly meaningless. Local b.s., and a shameful governor's race with two dummies to choose from.

I'm not a Dem or a Republican. Just a guy who thinks Bush is an idiot who can't think on his feet and needs a figurative whack in the ass.

Scott Hess said...

And just for clarification...I still believe the war was just, but I'm really wondering whether the WMD was mostly pretense for doing whatever they wanted. Reckless, at the very least.

Anonymous said...

Bush had roughly same grade point average as Kerry at Yale, and everyone think's he's a damned genius. I'll take George's thinking any day, even though he is surely not the greatst speaker. Politics requires a lot of sifting, and we all sift a little differently. And, at least this election you couldn't really cancel any of my votes, and maybe by 2008 we can sway you the other way!