1.02.2007



PROMISES, PROMISES: For quite a few years now -- more than a decade, probably less than two -- I've been sharing New Year's resolutions with a college pal. It's pretty fun. We swap 'em right after the New Year, then we cajole and tease each other about it a bit during the year. Just a bit. No biggie. Just a fun little tradition. Anyway, here's what I just emailed him for this year:


  • Develop some form of ongoing spiritual practice; identify some form of spiritual community
  • Work on some form of routine in my life, spiritual/exercise/family etc.; rituals and routines; I’m doing the individual things, but I want to put some ritual to it, to perhaps make it more effortless
  • Finish novel by my birthday, 5/11
  • Do a better job with birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and other special things; remembering them, honoring them, getting special gifts, etc.
  • Try to do at least one special, one-on-one thing with each of my sons each week
  • Cut way down on french fries and pastries
  • Get weight below 190 (currently 205)
  • Exercise at least three times/week

  • So...what are your resolutions?

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    To work at being pain free, and stand up straight at all times! Pretty simple, don't you think?

    Scott Hess said...

    Simple is good!