7.25.2003

PERFECT CITY MOMENT: I left my car in a parking lot overnight last night. This morning when I went to pick it up, I saw a sign that said "8-24 hours - $15.00." Then, when I got to my car, there was an ominous looking envelope taped to the driver's side window that read: "Your license plate number has been recorded. You must pay $30.00."

Huh? How'd it double. I pulled the car up to the booth and gave my original claim ticket to the attendant. He studied it for a moment, then said, "$23.00."

"How'd you come up with that number?" I asked him.

"Well, I charge you $15 for yesterday, then $8 for today. Now pay."

"I will not pay," I told him, explaining that I would be happy to part with $15, but not a penny more.

"The sign say 8 hours to closing time, $15."

"The sign does not say that." I tell him, pointing at the sign.

"The sign mean that."

Meanwhile, a couple cars have pulled up behind me. He gets on his cell phone.

"Mister Ken, man here no want to pay. Black Benz was here overnight, now he say only pay $15."

He listens to some extended speech from Mister Ken, nodding, grunting, shrugging. Meanwhile a blonde woman in a business suit behind me is losing her mind. I see her in my rear-view mirror fidgeting in her seat, making clucking noises and leaning out her window. "C'mon," she mouths. "My God."

I experience total serenity. I will sit there all day if I have to. This is a man who will not be moved.

"Mister Ken say $15 for you this time."

"Tell Mister Ken he needs a new sign."

"You have good day."

"You, too, my friend. Thank you for your help."

Poor guy. The blonde is gonna give him hell.

But I feel like I just won the lottery.

No comments: