1.06.2004

ALL WET: What good is water resistant? Shouldn't the label read "not really waterproof?"

I wear my black gloves out last night to play in the snow with my son. My hands get wet almost instantly. "Aren't these waterproof?" I wonder. "I seem to remember a label that said 'waterproof'."

I remove the wet gloves and look inside at the label. "Water resistant."

Ah. Water resistant. So what?

Hey, I'm water resistant. Unless I'm showering or swimming, I do my darndest to stay dry. And I have all manner of tactics to accomplish this dryness. I can run under overhangs in a storm. Grab an umbrella. Dodge raindrops. Not jump in pools or lakes. Avoid dousing myself with Evian. Refrain from sticking my finger in the drinking fountain spout so that it doesn't spray all over me.

And I do these things. I resist water.

These gloves, on the other hand, they just sort of lay there on my hands and absorb water. That doesn't strike me as very resistant. That's more like "water accepting" or "water friendly."

No comments: