11.02.2004

ONWARD: So my vote is cast. The election rolls along. Oddly I almost don't care who wins the booby prize of the current presidency. I just want a clear winner.

Had a crappy day of revealing my vote to curious colleagues and then registering their almost universal revulsion. Have even had long-time friends reacting to me with scorn and/or disbelief. Guy at lunch. Paul in the COMMENTS feature. My new colleague Peter. ("You're kidding me!")

Thing is, I'm the same person I was six days ago, six months ago, six years ago, etc. I still care about the same things. But somehow my vote, for many, seems to be shorthand for my big transformation into a jerk or a doofus. So I'm feeling mildly sad tonight, but only mildly. I voted my conscience.

Again, my greatest rooting interest is in a clear-cut victory for somebody. Go winner!

No comments: