5.06.2003

BILL BENNETT'S FENDER-BENDER: I think I have it in me to write a long, searching, intelligent essay about the whole Bill Bennett gambling fiasco. I have the chops, I hope, but not the inclination. Because I never thought Bill Bennett was flawless. I never imagined anyone could actually live a life devoted solely to virtue, never to vice. He was bound to fall, and I wonder if anyone's really shocked by it.

Most of us know the Right and the Left are populated entirely by flawed human beings. But leadership does not require them to air their dirty laundry on a daily basis, to lead with their foibles. Here's the message of a real leader: "We might all aspire to virtue, even as we succumb to vice." We'll buy that.

Still, Bill Bennett's gambling is a news story, to be sure. He made it a story years ago, by choosing such a fragile bully pulpit. But it's more like a fender bender really, nothing to see here, and let's keep it moving. Aren't we all too busy driving somewhere, anywhere, than to be lingering at the scene of this one-car crash with only cosmetic damage to the car? We see the flustered, well-dressed man on his cell phone, and we just know he has AAA or some other form of roadside assistance, that he'll be back behind the wheel of a new car in no time, hands not dirty, lesson not likely learned. This is what large unhealthy blusterers do. They caterwaul and crash, caterwaul and crash.

Isn't it always the fat guy that wants to tell you how to eat? And aren't we all the fat guy sometimes?

Nothing to see here. Keep it moving.

No comments: