5.23.2003

HOORAY FOR HOLLYDAYS! I've finished my writing project -- or I've surrendered. I can't figure out which statement is true, but either way I'm not going to touch it again until Monday. No, wait, until Tuesday! Woo-hoo! Holiday! Celebrate! Time to come together, somethin' 'bout the weather...need a holidaa-aay!

Here's the thing about so much of my writing life: Folks, I can turn a phrase with the best of them. I really can. And when I start to doubt that I have a good friend in Florida who can be counted on to remind me, as he did a couple evenings ago. So yeah, I mean, I can write, okay? But so much of what I write about, I'm not really the expert. Instead, I play Cyrano to their...whatever the name of the good-looking guy was, the one who employed the proboscis-powered ghostwriter to get the girl. (I even have a big nose!) I'm like Barry Manilow, but stuck in the jingle-for-hire game and never tasting the big time.

What I'm getting at: As I sit here atop a post-project adrenal cloud, I see that I wanna be the good-looking guy for a change. I wanna be the guy that knows something, not just writes as if he did.

No comments: