11.30.2005

I'M BAD, I'M NATIONWIDE: I'm in New York...but not for long.

Sitting in the JFK Red Carpet lounge. Flew in here yesterday morning -- up at five, on the way to the airport by six, on a plane at eight, presenting right after lunch, dinner, then out to the Hampton Inn at the airport. Did manage to have really good sushi with an old friend, so that was nice.

Now am awaiting a five-hour-or-so flight out to LAX (so my 5AM wake-up call here had me up at 2AM L.A. time -- oy), where I'll land and drive in to Burbank and chatter some more. Had the good sense not to make dinner plans tonight, so I'll probably just melt into my room in West Hollywood. More chattering tomorrow morning, then a bird back to Chicago in the late afternoon, arriving home around 8PM.

This kind of travel dulls the senses, the emotions, everything. It's not a big deal, not as if I'm doing anything so terribly hard. But it just kind of kicks your butt, little by little by little. I am amazed at how easily and vacantly I can wake up in a strange bed, get myself dressed and packed up, and stagger through security and onto a plane.

Nice thing on my upcoming flight is that it's a three-class flight -- United's "Premium Service" -- and I've got a cushy business class seat with my own power outlet. Several times ago I had the good fortune to watch NAPOLEON DYNAMITE on my complimentary personal DVD player. Alas, this flight will be filled with editing, e-mail triage and, hopefully, a cat nap or two.

It's a living!

4 comments:

L. said...

You know, the relationship you have with your job is very much like the relationship ThePhoneRang has with his wife. Why don't you just leave it already? It sounds like it's killing you...or, do you just love it too much...
L.

isaacjosephson said...

I really don't know how you do it, Scott. I was recently offered a very high paying gig (2.5x what I'm at now) that would have me traveling 50% of the year, and I turned it down flat. I like my bed too much.
On that note, I'm off to Grand Rapids, MI...

Casey said...

Ike - it's too bad you can't take a pay cut and at least travel to a more sexy locale.

The Wife Who Knows said...

I just quit a job that had me on the road half the time for one that will leave me desk-bound -- or at least in the same city where I live -- most days. I love to travel, but after I started doing it for a living, I found that I only really love being away from home when it's on my terms!

Too bad life doesn't come with an expense account.