11.13.2005

NO MORE SCIENCE HATERS NEED APPLY: Let me go on record early: In '08 I'm looking for a candidate that's unabashedly pro-stem cell research. In fact, I'm looking for someone who can reconcile his or her spiritual wishes (faith, whatever) with scientific reality. Do I think science is the be-all and the end-all? Nope. Do I think there's a place for religion in one's governing temperament? Indeed. But do articles like this make me pissed off that Bush 43 has been a foot-dragger? You bet.

If the Dalai Lama were more of a hawk on defense, he might be my guy...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In general I like to think of myself as not being a litmus test type of guy, but I'm perfectly happy with some variant of "You think that science classes should teach intelligent design? Thanks for stopping by..."

Anonymous said...

Interesting that in the study the article refers to they were using the individual's own stem cells from bone marrow. Sounds like something which I sure hope is being further investigated. I also believe there is room for religious belief and some sort of stem cell deveopment.

Scott Hess said...

The whole "intelligent design" debate is kind of funny to me. I have no problem if intelligent design is presented in the classroom for what it is: a non-scientific explanation invented after the fact by religious people who want to merge biblical prose with scientific knowledge. Somethign like that. I mean, evolution is only a theory, too. It works better than intelligent design, if you play by the rules of science. But the thing I always hated 'bout science class was that scientists thought that creating some kind of language and classification system and memorizing it somehow represented knowledge. Science and mathematics are amazing and useful, but they're just a lot of hand-waving at the end of the day. They can be tools that produce tremendous good, just like the humanities. But there's nothing absolute about the blueness of blue or the hydrogenness of water. It's just semantic hand-waving, useful for communication and even exploration, but a million miles short of any kind of absolute explanatoin of the intrinsic nature/meaning of life.