6.30.2003

BECAUSE I'M A FAN: A couple of you have jabbed me recently, "How come you only write about the Cubs when they're winning?" Hmmmph. For the most part, you're right. I do remember writing a brief "Dump Estes" post earlier this season, but then he started pitching better and I started liking him more. (Funny how that works.)

I was lucky enough to see yesterday's game from a corporate whorebox (hee hee). Again, the Cubs showed good (enough) offense. The big and obvious difference was the bullpen, as Remlinger and Borowski combined to finish what Kerry Wood started. As my father wrote a few days ago, it was starting to look like the Cubs' new motto should be, "Let's play eight."

But it's tough to fault a bullpen that's been an elemental part of our success this year. I prefer they get these anomalous bad performances out of their collective systems before we get into the big stretch drive that awaits. Go Cubbies!

And BTW, I won ten bucks via SMS cellphone messages during the game. After the Sox got out to a one-run lead, a chippy friend messaged me predicting "SWEEP." I foolishly (valiantly?) bade him to put his money where his text-messaging was. And the rest is history, not to mention money in the bank.

(Note: Headline revised.)

No comments: