6.30.2003

IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER: So after the previous post, I sat and read through Dean's positions as he describes them on his website. Thing is, I agree with him quite a bit.

We differ on affirmative action -- I love the sentiment but hate the practice, whereas he applauds the whole of it; on the death penalty -- he favors it in extreme cases whereas I just think it's wrong across the board; and on the war in Iraq -- he opposed it, whereas I supported it.

Can we meet in the middle on any of these issues?

Well, it's hard for me to hate affirmative action. I just think it's illogical, replacing a covert racist system with an overt one. Still, what's not to like about diversity and advancement? I can forgive him this.

The death penalty? I like his measured stance better than Bush and co.'s zealous pursuit of executions.

The war? After reading THE THREATENING STORM, I supported the President. And as war grew closer and eventually became reality, my sense of patriotism and compassion for our troops grew markedly. I'm very unhappy with Dean's anti-war position -- but how mad can you get at a guy for opposing a war? I wish I could have found an intellectual platform to do the same. I could not.

On his site, Dean hits on themes that are and always have been important to me:

- Equal rights
- Sensible gun laws
- Fiscal responsibility
- Universal health care (I'm not sure where I come down on this, actually)
- Environmental protection

Odds are his positions on these issues will map more closely to my beliefs than will those of 43.

I'm not saying I'm jumping on the DeanWagon. But I am saying I'll be watching the debates and reading the websites. I'll remain engaged from now until election time, and I hope you will, too.

No comments: