9.16.2005

INSTALLING A NEW TEMPLATE AND ACTING LIKE I ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING: Last night's blog rehab was fueled by a few things: coupla e-mails from my pal Kev lamenting the load time and suggesting some possible solutions (God bless ya, Kev); coupla Belgian Tripels and, truth be told, a Pacifico chaser; the need to totally throw myself into something almost meditative as a salve on the chaos of my day.

And I must say it's awfully nice to wake up to my sleek new blog, despite the fact it's been denuded of its most fun part, your comments. Those of you that write a blog know, something like 90% of the reason to do this -- slap all your dreams and thoughts and bad poetry and armchair political analysis up on a website -- is to get the feedback from virtual intimates, those precious few that pull the car to the side of the road for a sec and scribble something on the wall.

That kind of sloppy writing -- maybe mixing metaphors, maybe not even making a real metaphor at all -- reminds me to disclaim the following: You can probably tell I write all this stuff on the fly. And maybe it doesn't make for the most studied analysis, duh, but I hope it's breezy enough to sweep your hair from your eyes, tickle your neck, maybe even give you allergies.

8 comments:

isaacjosephson said...

yeah! where are our comments!?

love the quick load time, though.

Scott Hess said...

The comments thing is a big bummer. Is it any consolution that the new Blogger-integrated comments work better?

When I first created the Camel you had to use third-part comments, the Blogrolling tool was kludgy, syndication was tough, etc. And it was extra tough to graft all the new stuff onto my clunky old template. At least it was for me. Now with integrated commenting, Blogrolling, and Feedburner handling syndication, things are much easier/better. The only dinoaur left on my little blog is SiteMeter, and I'm pretty surprised there's no Blogger-included solution for measurement.

Scott Hess said...

Consolution? Consolation. Oops.

Potato, potahto...

Scott Hess said...

Oh, and Hello and the Blogger editing platform both make photo integration far easier than it used to be!

Anonymous said...

Looks great...I do miss the comments though

Scott Hess said...

Ah, but there are NEW comments, Bart! Sorry! But we can rebuild it, make the Camel truly bionic and with staying power, whereas last year's model was stuck together with chewing gum and old matchsticks...

I'm hopeful that this new template will actually inspire greater readership and participation, given the better load times, more reliable features, etc.

But I do feel bad about losing the old (and great) comments.

BTW, if any of y'all want a guest platform, I'd be happy let you add a post or two or more to the Camel...

Anonymous said...

I'll more than likely take avantage of that last offer...

Scott Hess said...

Do it, Bart!