9.20.2005

LATEST IN LINGO: Here are two phrases that are currently on the rise, according to me.

First, be on the lookout for "threw up in my mouth a little bit," used to describe something gross or uncomfortable. This was perhaps coined on the ESPN radio show "Mike and Mike in the Morning." Anybody know differently? I'm hearing it a lot.

Next, this football season watch out for the idea of "game management." It's all the rage for NFL analysts this year, used to describe a coaching philosophy whereby the quarterback (and the offense in general) is responsbible more for avoiding mistakes than for making plays. Trent Dilfer, in the Ravens' Super Bowl year, was the ultimate "game management" quarterback.

BTW, what the f--- is the Camel about, anyway? My God, I'm all over the map. Someday I'll focus.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure, but M&M might have copped the line from The Sports Guy, yet another of those with a thing for Boston sports teams.

Buckner Deserves Some Piece
[Google cache of lede to piece behind ESPN's paid content wall]

Dave S. said...

That line was used by Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) on Friends a few years back. Not sure who was first though.

Anonymous said...

"threw up in my mouth a little bit" - my 4-year-old is all over that.

Game management in the NFL just sounds sad.

Scott Hess said...

Apparently the "threw up in my mouth a little bit" was also in Austin Powers. Sounds like it was said by Scott Evil:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=4wheeldrive&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moviewavs.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoviewavs.cgi%3FAustin_Powers_In_Goldmember%3Dthrewup.wav