9.20.2005

KANYE RANTS, MIKE MYERS BENEFITS? The more I watch the now-famous Kanye West "George Bush doesn't care about black people" rant, the more I think that Mike Myers has a chance to be the big winner here. I mean, the guy has been somewhat on the fade of late, with the Austin Powers franchise either wrapped up or dormant. But what this does is, if he chooses, provide him with the most wonderful platform from which to launch a standup movie/tour/HBO special, ala Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock. There's so much tension in his face as he listens to Kanye, so many shifting emotions. I'd love to hear him stand up on stage and talk about it, do a riff on it. Sure, he'll need more material than that, but you can't tell me that riff alone wouldn't be anxiously awaited. Who doesn't want to hear what Myers was thinking as he stood there?

Hell, somebody's gonna break it down, the rant. Maybe Chris Rock is the most likely. Because, c'mon, really listen to Kanye: What the fuck is he talking about? Can't you hear Chris Rock asking that very question? "Look, I'm down with Kanye...but what the fuck was he talking about?"

I almost feel sorry for Kanye, he's so tongue-tied. I ain't mad at him. He seems earnest. He seems young and emotional and confused. His rant is irresponsible, but then so was Ray Nagin's. The bottom line is this whole thing will blow over, poor metaphor, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't breathe some wind into the Mike Myers sails. We'll see.

No comments: