9.29.2005

STEP INSIDE MY KIMONO: One of the things I wrestle with, blog-wise, is this: Seems like the most compelling blogs -- heck, the most compelling art projects of any stripe -- often deal rather directly with dysfunction, with tragedy, with conflict. They open up the kimono, so to speak, and let the readers in on their innermost fears, struggles, hopes, dreams, and other sundry important stuff. The creators let you see their stretch marks and smell their natural musk, right? It can get ugly under there!

At the same time, it's just not my style to peel the onion in such a public forum. I know who my few readers are -- friends, family, the handful of random rabble-rousers that wandered in from a Google search and happened to stick around -- and I simply don't feel comfortable asking 'em all in to fold my dirty laundry with me, let alone to peel my onions or share my kimono. Heck, many of you are my dirty laundry, my onions, etc., and you shouldn't have to find that out on some webpage...

My intention here, most of the time, is simply to entertain and/or titillate. To entertain myself, first and foremost, through the exercise of writing; and to entertain those precious few (you) who are kind enough to reward me with two seconds of browsing time during your days and nights. (And those of you that actually write comments, you have no idea how nice it is not only to be read, but to be digested and regurgitated in some small way. Writers are like hungry little birds waiting for a mouthful from any wayward bird with a beak of worms. Mama!)

And so I keep things relatively light in here, or at least I steer clear of parting my kimono any lower than navel-level, right? Sure. I do. You know it. I rarely even tease with my innermost thoughts, let alone all-out flash 'em at you.

But I do have this recurring thing, this thing that needs some third-party input. Here I am right now, in my life, at the place I always wanted to arrive at. Wife. Sons. House. Throw in a couple rescued dogs and I'm set. Set. But it won't hold still, this life. It wants me to travel, to work, to fly and flux and such. It has no time for dogs right now. It leaves me clinging to the edges of my family life like a man on the outermost horse on a willy-nilly merry-go-round.

I just can't figure out how to slow things down enough so that I can loosen my grip a bit, so that I can have enough time and attention for the things I love and have enough money for the things I need. I know this is not a novel lament. But beyond solving my mortality -- and I've mostly given up on that -- this issue of how to make the most of my fleeting time is my holy grail right now.

Perhaps the only way to solve this is to do what I advise others all the time: Surrender the problem to the universe and wait for an answer to materialize.

Hmmm...

The way that has worked for me in the past is that I start out by visualizing the solution, the endpoint. And then my life, quite often, just starts to Ouija its way in the right direction. Eureka! My first challenge lies in actually visualizing what success will look like. That's why I've felt so muddy about it. I just can't see it yet. Okay. I can handle this.

By the way...anybody wants to weigh in, I'd love to hear how you're solving this riddle. Feel free to open up your kimono in the Comments.

11 comments:

L. said...

First of all, let me get this straight. As far as my role, as I dirty laundry, an onion, or a wayward bird with a mouthful of worms? I just want to know how I rate.

Second of all. You don't need money to be happy. I say, quit your job entirely and then just see what happens. Fire your nanny, your house cleaner, and your plant waterer. Heck, sell the car too. Who needs two cars when they have no job and live in a city with great mass transit. No more gas or insurance to pay for either. Take a couple of months off. Relax and spend time with your kids while they're still little and at home and want to be with you. Then, start up a little daddy daycare for some extra money on the side.
L.

Anonymous said...

Ok. First of all, a bit of boyish geekery: this post is from my blackberry. I can read the camel on my freakin' bb, and post•

I read the Camel 'cause of how much we have in common. Visualizing is a start, but, if you have similiar challenges as mine, there are competing visions, goals and wishes that are difficult to reconcile in reality. Career v family is a classic, especially for males. Affluence and personal comfort v social justice and the common good. Some of these are tough nuts to crack.

Scott Hess said...

Oh, it is complicated indeed, Kev.

(And I can read and post from my Treo 650, thanks to the little template/comments rehab I did a few weeks ago. It's nice!)

Yep, tough nuts to crack. But let's chat about it.

Actually, I want to write a post about a friend of mine who gives me hope. That may move us along...

Scott Hess said...

Laurel, you are a worm-carrying bird.

I read your idea to my wife last night, and it wasn't met with enthusiasm. She said what you don't realize is that I want to spend an extra couple hours/day with my boys, not an extra eight or ten hours.

BTW, we don't have a plant waterer, although now that you mention it...

Scott Hess said...

Yep. House cleaner for more than a decade, actually. Lucyna. She rules. Came yesterday, actually. She comes every two weeks. $85 per visit. Probably the best use of $85 I can imagine.

Anonymous said...

our house cleaner is tom&roma...best use of $85 would be greens fees or dinner at Bucci!

L. said...

Horray for house cleaners! Mine only costs me $65/every two weeks and it's, by far, the best $65 ever spent for me as well. So, now that I think about it, even if you ever do find yourself unemployed and home all day, day after day after day, with nothing to do, don't fire the housekeeper. Give her a raise. Heck, with you home all day, it's gonna' get a lot messier!
L.

Scott Hess said...

There was a period a while back where we were living extra-posh. My mom came to visit one day, and she was overwhelmed by the sight of our nanny, our house cleaner, and our dog walker all in the house at roughly the same time.

This is, of course, a posh blog, Trisha.

Anonymous said...

Hey Trisha...note what teh noted. These kids didn't learn anything in Hamilton!

L. said...

Now that I think about it, Scott, you cannot quit your job. You employ too many other people. Half of the city of Chicago would be filing for unemployment. Keep working and keep Chicago employed. I think you would have to fire the lady that comes and picks up your laundry weekly too, wouldn't you? And, what about the take-out-delivery guy? I've heard he lives on your tips.
L.

Scott Hess said...

The nearby sushi restaurant needs me to be employed. We spend a couple hundred bucks there a week, it seems like...

Seriously...I think our weekly sushi budget is...

...I'd say $100 is not far off. Several years ago we looked at our annual credit card bill and calculated that we had spent five grand that year on sushi.

So that would be a major problem were I to be unemployed.

Luckily many of the small hamlets that have captured our imagination don't feature much exotic fare. Taco Bell is the height of ethnic cuisine...