1.18.2006

SLICE OF LIFE: There's something in the air at my hotel.

The place is packed with some serious yahoos. For a second, I thought I might be among my NASCAR brethren, this horde of rural-seeming, puffy men hell-bent on whooping it up and/or squiring their wide-eyed families through the large hotel lobby. But these folks, salt of the earth and all, are just a little too...down-market for NASCAR. These are some odd folk. I started looking at their name tags, trying to make out the logo. Hmmmm. Looked like it said they were with the PARK CONGRESS. Maybe that's it. These are national park-type people. Wilderness folk. Then I saw this sign:


Pfizer Animal Health & Hormel Happy Hour, 6:30PM

Then I stared harder at the name tags: Pork Congress. Pork. As in porcine. Piggies!

"Excuse me," I say to a man in the elevator. "Does your name tag say 'Pork Congress?'"

"Yes, indeed," he says. "We're pig people."

6 comments:

isaacjosephson said...

My hotel was packed to the gills with frosted-hair, twentysomething girls from Iowa, South Dakota and Oklahoma, in town for an HR conference.

Who do ya think woulda won in a fight - my girls or your porkers?

Scott Hess said...

Dude, my pork dudes would triumph in the end in a kind of nearly-dead-guy-who-just-keeps-on-advancing-slowly kind of way.

isaacjosephson said...

Don't discount the unparalleled ability for HR types to employ a level of passive-agressiveness that could reduce even the biggest pork guy to a sniveling, confused lump of flesh.

The Wife Who Knows said...

What's up with scheduling a conference in Minnesota in January? I mean really, who does that?

TWWK

Anonymous said...

Who does a conference in Minneapolis in January?

From the Camel -folks who are".. just a little too...down-market for NASCAR."

Anonymous said...

That said, the experience of Issac and the Camel are exactly the kind of random experience I miss since I travel for business so infrequently. Thanks for sharing guys!