1.18.2006

WHY IS EXERCISE STUCK IN THE GYM? I'm standing at the Baggage Claim yesterday, waiting and waiting to retrieve my suitcase (so much for the PRIORITY tag they always stick on it due to my frequent-flier status), and it hits me: What about a public exercise movement?

Why can't I just drop down right there and knock out some push-ups and some sit-ups? Why can't I do some step-ups on the baggage carousel or knock out some dips on the chairs nearby? Why not?

Well, I'd look like a goof, right? But why is it that we don't feel ashamed when we do unhealthy things in public, like knock down a Cin-A-Bun or smoke a cigarette or polish off 73 frozen margaritas? Why are those behaviors more socially acceptable?

So what about it? Should I launch publicexercise.blogspot.com and document examples of people exercising in public, making their waiting time in doctors' offices and supermarket lines and so forth add up to something healthy?

The answer is no, no more blogs. But I think I'm onto something, nonetheless...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think it's a great idea, and it would be way more entertaining than some of the other mentioned "bad habits". And then we would all have to walk around in our exercise clothes all the time so we would be prepared to whip into a timely routine at any given moment. I think you are on to something, Scott.:)

Casey said...

I think Scott should start a site about bloggercising - the act of starting multiple blogs about many different subjects.

Dave S. said...

I saw a woman at O'Hare running througth the connection between the the United Terminals (you know the Disney-esque "moving walkway"). She was wearing a sports bra top and sweats, and just flopped her way back and forth. I thought it admirable, although she probably wasn't very self aware, given what she was wearing. But why not, if your flight is delayed, it's a great time to get a workout in.

Scott Hess said...

Sports bra? Flopped?

Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something here? Have you ever been to the lakefront? Or at a mall during the week for the Senior Olympics? I see people exercising in public every day, just not generally dressed in a three piece.

Scott Hess said...

Bart, I'm talking about making it routine for people to just bust out in deep knee bends and push-ups while sitting in a doctor's waiting room. I'm talking about taking it out of the malls and off the lakefronts and bringing it into the lines at Costco. A movement, dude!

L. said...

I do my kegals everyday while waiting in line in all types of public places. Good excercize, no detection.
L.

Casey said...

I exercise in the line at Costco, in parking lots, and in particular, at the intersection of Damen, Fullerton, and Clyborn. It's a mental exercise in being calm, polite, and relaxed.

I also do use O'Hare as an exercise routine, walking as fast as I possibly can, taking all stairs, and can usually break out into a sweat by the time I reach the gate