8.04.2003

LIKE A FUNGUS: I'm delighted to note we've experienced some slow but steady growth of late.

We, as in those of us who bring you this Camel. We, as in the "royal we."

We, as in me.

For months, we were stuck on roughly 20 unique visits a day. But in the last few months all that has changed. We now have reached the threshold many once called unattainable, that grand precipice of illustrious achievement...30 visits a day.

Thing is, when I started writing this I thought it'd be a lark. Write a bit here and there, maybe get read by my parents and my dog (these Airedale Terriers are smart, I'm tellin' ya), and then gradually just fizzle into oblivion. Some six or more months of steady effort later I'm still writing -- and readership seems to be on the rise. During this period of fungus-like growth, I've had varying attitudes towards traffic. At first I pretended not to care. Then, for a while, I was gripped by it, was constantly clicking on the SiteMeter, Googling various methods to grow traffic, and so forth. In the end, though, it comes down to this:

I couldn't stop blogging if I wanted to. It's something of a compulsion. It's how I think, the way I sort the events of the day and the minutiae of my world into tidy (and untidy sometimes -- sorry) piles of ponderousness.

So thanks for being here with me. I'm glad you're compelled to read what I'm compelled to write. May we both experience tiny bursts of enlightenment along the way to wherever we're headed.

No comments: