10.06.2005

OLD AND LAZY, WITH GRUMPY NOT FAR AWAY: I noticed this morning that the remote-control key for my car has made me lazy. I left it on the roof and went around back to fetch stuff out of the trunk...and it took me several seconds to remember how to open the trunk without the key. (Push the button. Duh.) Even when I figured it out it just seemed kind of tough to have to bend down and push like that. I considered going back around the car to get my remote-control key, actually. Finally I bent down and opened the trunk with my finger...and I admit I felt a sense of pride that I had done it for myself...followed shortly thereafter by a sense of shame that I had felt the sense of pride to begin with.

I've also noticed of late that my body is not what it used to be in many ways. At the end of my hour-long morning commute I have to exit the car slowly, since my body has stiffened up significantly during the ride. Sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, as you lift your fatass from the Mercedes seat, the blood rushes to your head and you are probably dizzy, but after a little of your Starbucks soy latte, you gather yourself and proceed into your jobplace and "knock 'em dead" again: That's my boy!

Scott Hess said...

That's more or less accurate, Dad.