4.30.2003

BLOGGING META: I was going to write that I don't have the faintest idea what this blog's about, but that's not true. In the sprawling descriptive text up on the masthead, I list all manner of subjects that might appear in this space -- ranging from baseball teams to wine to poetry. So when I get this aimless feeling, I suppose it's less about my end of things -- what I'm interested in writing about -- than it is about your end of things -- what you'll actually spend time reading about.

Thing is, I want to be read. It's true in each of my writing projects, from poetry to prose to blogging. I won't lie -- I peruse my traffic reports daily, and I aspire to a large readership.

Ah, but therein lies the riddle: Where do my abilities and interests intersect with your appetites? This is my challenge in so many of life's arenas. I default to being a mile wide, an inch deep. Does that serve me? You? Will it create demand in any sphere? What's my unique calling card? What's the difference between intellectual catholicism and lack of focus? Who will pay (in time if not dollars) to watch a man wonder? Wander? Etc.

No comments: