4.08.2003

MEPUBLICAN? Look, I voted for Gore, too, but isn't it time we give it a rest about Bush's "fake presidency." Oh, and fwiw, I wouldn't vote for Gore again, and there's not a Dem in the field that captures my imagination. I may well cast my first Republican vote in '04. I wish there were a candidate that hit all my check-boxes, but there simply isn't. Here's where I am:

  • Favor tax simplification, esp. in the form of a "flat tax."


  • Favor a strong national defense/homeland security.


  • Favor legalized same-sex unions.


  • Loathe abortion but favor a woman's right to choose. No state funding for abortions except where the health of the mother is concerned, or for rape/incest.


  • Against capital punishment. Favor a federal law against it.


  • Against drilling in ANWR or otherwise ransacking protected areas.


  • For national health care for children.


  • For fiscal conservatism as expressed by deficit reduction and balanced budgets.


  • Loathe guns but am against most gun control. Favor waiting periods, restrictions on who can sell weapons where, and ban of assault weapons.


  • Am pro public education and against waivers.


  • Am for major campaign finance reform to the extent that private citizens are capped and corporations not allowed to contribute at all.


  • That's as much of a platform as I can come up with on the spot.

    No comments: