4.04.2003

THE NEW TRUMP CARD FOR IDIOTS: Has anyone else noticed that "I support the troops" is becoming cover for all manner of bad behavior? I hear it time and time again. Somebody does or says something absolutely rude, cockamamie, or even reckless, then follows it up with the get-out-of--jail-free card of "but I support the troops." It works like this:

Hey, I'm criticizing the Commander-in-Chief during wartime -- but I support the troops! Look over here -- I'm revealing our troops' positions...but I support them! I'm giving comfort to the enemy...while supporting our troops! Watch me step on these puppies...in support of our troops! I'm making poopie in the streets of San Francisco...to show my support for the troops!

Listen, fervent troop supporters, I have an idea: Just say, "I support the troops," and leave it at that. No need to lead with bad behavior. Believe me, when this war is over, you'll all feel better about yourselves if you'd just refrain from skewering the President's head while our brave young men and women are still in harm's way.

No comments: